A hobby is an activity that a person does with pleasure. As we are entering the era of the information society, and our lives are getting more and more busy and complex, a hobby can be an essential tool to maintain the work-life balance.
This sounds like a paradox, doesn’t it? At first thought, if you spend time on hobbies, the balance will be twisted. However, if you consider the benefits of having a hobby, they outweigh any potential losses drastically.
Here are at least 7 reasons how hobbies changes our lives for the better.
1. Hobbies bring pleasure. If you sincerely enjoy what your doing, you will keep on doing it again, as the pleasure and positive emotions are invaluable.
2. Hobbies reduce stress. This is connected with the point above. Pleasure and positive feeling remove negative thoughts and stress endured during the working day.
3. Hobbies make you be “here and now”. I bet everyone experiences this – once you’re into something you truly like, you get carried away and forget about anything else. Time flies like a rocket. This is known as the “state of flow”.
4. Hobbies contain potential opportunities. A hobby can become a life-time occupation. In fact, this can be a perfect situation when doing a job that you love. As Confucius once said: “Find the work you truly enjoy, and you won’t have to work a single day in your life”.
5. Hobbies help make new friends. Doing the same pleasant activity triggers new connections and attachments between one another, or at least an eternal topic for conversation and exchanging ideas on.
6. Hobbies help you realize what you really want. In the world of consumerism and never-ending marketing, your hobbies guide you and help distinguish between true wishes and imposed ones.
And finally, through hobbies and interests you develop yourself. What is even better, such development goes with pleasure, as already mentioned in point one :).
So if you haven’t done so yet, go find yourself a hobby!